Day 4- Guanacaste: Beach

When traveling to a new part or province in Costa Rica one will notice change in vegetation and altitude pretty quickly. Both of these determine what type of forest the area is classified as. Guanacaste is extremely dry environmentally different from San Jose. Besides the landscape changing when driving west, the animal abundance increases just when looking at the road side. Tourists can spy monkeys, toucans, deer and birds. Cattle farms are popular in the West as well. This part of the country is dry because of the lack of rainfall. Plants here have very large leaves and roots because of the limited rainfall. Unlike American trees, Costa Rican trees tend to grow up and have small girths. This allows the tree to grow higher and retrieve more sunlight in order to maintain healthy and receive nutrients. Further West of the dry rain forests Guanacaste hosts 80% of Costa Rica's energy production, which is hydroelectric power. The other 20% of energy is geothermal or from wind turbines. The hydroelectric power pushes water North through 25 foot wide pipes. Water used for irrigation travels by artificial canals. Water in Costa Rica is not only abundant but very afforadable.    "Squirrel juice makes you climb trees see nuts and go nuts." 

Kallie Sinkus Biology '12